Little Rock Arkansas History
Little Rock, Arkansas is a town in the state of Arkansas and the capital of Little Rock County. Stretched along the Arkansas River and overlooking the Quachita Mountains, it sits on land that has been inhabited by Native Americans for thousands of years, including Cherokee, Choctaw and Quapaw. It is also located on the Mississippi River, making it one of Arkansas "most populous cities with more than 1.5 million inhabitants.
When Europeans first explored the region, the Quapaw claimed the Arkansas River Valley, including the location of small rocks, as part of their territory. The seat of government was moved to Little Rock in 1821 when it became clear that there were frequent floods. In the fall of 1821, the capital of Arkansas was moved there (Arkansas Post), but the name was changed again to "Little Rock" and the location of the state's first post office was restored. However, it moved again, this time to its current location on the Mississippi, but it was also too heavily flooded and was later moved back to Little Rock.
Also in 1903, Little Rock was split from the state of Arkansas in a legal maneuver to annex the newly founded town of Fort Smith, Arkansas (Arkansas State Capitol), which was also voted on by 5,000 votes to 1,500, also in the legal maneuvers of 1903. Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus mobilized the Arkansas National Guard to maintain order and prevent the students, known as the "Little Rock Nine," from entering the school. He won the support of his supporters for his attempt to inflame racial segregation at the Rock School by sending the Arkansas National Guard. Arkansas' National Guard, by order of Governor Faubsus, prevented the LittleRock Nine from entering the doors of Central High.
There were no blacks in the school at the time, according to the Arkansas State Archives, so it makes sense that they could not have entered.
Members of the Little Rock Nine came to the school only to be turned away by Arkansas National Guard, the Arkansas State Archives said. Arkansas National Guard troops staggered on the school grounds in September 1957, but they did not cause any problems for the students.
That year, education was the focus when the University of Arkansas was founded in Little Rock and the LittleRock School District was approved for the fall. In 1955, when construction began on Hall High School in western Little Rock, it was renamed Little Rock Central High School. By the end of the school year, North Little Rock had attended six classes at Central and Little Rock 9 at Central High School, the Arkansas State Archives said. The University of Arkansas and the University of Arkansas merged in 1969, becoming the state's first public university to offer undergraduate and graduate education.
The eastern edge of Little Rock is sparsely populated, but it is a vital economic area that houses the University of Arkansas, Arkansas State University and the US Army Corps of Engineers. But land speculators, led by William Russell of St. Louis, pushed for the city to be founded and named because it is so close to the Mississippi and its natural beauty. So it was a logical place to find a settlement, and LittleRock was located at the mouth of the river from where upstream travelers came along the Arkansas River, as reported in an April 16, 1884, issue of this newspaper.
Little Rock is home to several cultural institutions, including the University of Arkansas, Arkansas State University, the Arkansas Museum of Natural History and the American Legion.
In Little Rock, they are home to several cultural institutions, including the University of Arkansas, Arkansas State University, the Arkansas Museum of Natural History and the American Legion. For more information on Arkansas government history, visit the Clinton Presidential Center, where you can visit other historic sites such as Mount St. Mary's Episcopal Church, John Macarthur State Historic Park and Arkansas National Historical Park.
Little Rock Central High School, which opened in 1927 and was originally called Little Rock Senior High School, is one of the oldest high schools in Arkansas and the only public high school in Arkansas. A beautiful downtown park overlooking the Arkansas River is Mount Macarthur Park, a rock formation that gives the city its name. The circular Arkansas River Trail 49 crosses the Big Dam Bridge and crosses downtown to cross the historic Junction Bridge. Although a vintage tram system made up of electric trolleys was revived and spanned a 3.4 mile stretch between LittleRock and the town, it has since been out of service.
The French called this small ledge on the southern bank le Petit Rocher, or "the little rock," a name that first appeared on a map in 1799. Since then, it has been known as La Petite Roche Little Rock, after its location at the mouth of the Arkansas River near the town of LittleRock.